Sunday, November 19, 2006

Random Cultural Observations from Korea

So Jeff and I keep making random observations about Korean culture, none of which are interesting enough for their own blog, so we decided to compile them all into one random blog.

1. No one wears sunglasses (except for celebrities we see on TV), even when its really, really sunny! My theory was that no one has light eyes, so they aren't as sensitive to the sun, but Jeff disagrees since he has dark eyes and wears them.

2. The fashion here is a little bit stuck in the 80's. A lot of really bright colors, slouchy boots with tiny heels worn over jeans, huge oversized shirts tied at the waist with a belt with leggings underneath, brightly colored knee high socks with non-matching shoes and a short skirt (that may or may not match the shoes and knee socks), and the list could go on and on. Jeff and I have tried to take some pictures, but we have yet to find a stealth way to do it. We came close at McDonalds, but a little girl got in our way! If we are able to get some good pictures, we will definitely post them.

3. No one wears sandals or open-toed shoes of any type. Its interesting because as an American I love my dressy sandals instead of my pumps, but I feel odd wearing them. Thankfully I thought to bring pumps so I have something normal to wear to client dinners!

4. The portion sizes are way smaller here. This isn't surprising at all, and its actually refreshing, except for when it comes to Starbucks. I enjoy stopping by Starbucks once or twice a week (I have found its a great place to work on wedding thank you cards), but I always leave feeling unsatisfied. They don't have a Venti (large in the US) here, so a Grande (medium in the US) is as good as it gets!

5. All school children, even those at public schools, wear uniforms. They are very formal, with skirts, blouses and jackets for the girls and pants, ties and jackets for the boys.

6. There are no bums on the streets here, except the halflings . . . and we're not talking about Hobbits.

7. Instead of planting flowers in pots along the road, they plant cabbage. I'm not kidding you, they use the different colors to make patterns like you would use flowers! It's completely hilarious. Here are some pictures we snapped on the street:



8. Men often carry their wife/girlfriend/sister/mother's purse when shopping and walking around.

9. Kids love to open their car windows and proudly yell "Hi" or "Hello" to Jeff and I when we are walking down the street.

10. They drive on the right side of the street, but for some reason they walk on the left side of the sidewalk. It makes no sense!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish men over here would carry our purses. That would be so nice! Has Jeff been carrying yours? hehe

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of cabbage in planters in NYC too. From what I understand it is really hardy and holds up well in the cold. I still prefer flowers :o)