Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What is Petronas?

This is a question I have asked myself many times while here in Malaysia, and I finally have an answer. Before arriving here the only thing I knew about Petronas was that it was the name of the two connecting towers in Kuala Lumpur (completely random side note - my whole life I thought it was Kuala Lampur . . . oops!). I figured it was some corporation that was headquartered in the Petronas Towers or some famous Malaysian named Petronas. Well it turns out I wasn't that far off (okay, maybe I was on my second thought!).

In driving around Malaysia I have seen the Petronas name everywhere, so I finally decided to investigate what it was all about. Jeff informed me that Petronas is a gas and oil company owned by the Malaysian government and that "Petronas" was actually short for Petroliam Nasional Berhad. Jeff drove me to his plant on his last day off and we certainly hit the petroleum district! You couldn't drive 10 feet without seeing a building or a person with Petronas emblazoned on it. Jeff explained that the company controls all of the gas and oil production in the entire country, and let me tell you there is a lot of it! Now it makes complete sense to me why the towers in KL (that's what everyone around here calls Kuala Lumpur) are named after Petronas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

but how can you explain the $3.27 gas is costing? Is Malaysia exporting to the US?

Jeff and Mia said...

Good question! I'm not sure if Malaysia exports gasoline to the US. One thing I do know is that Petronas produces a lot more than just gasoline. I never realized all of the things that can be made by refining oil and other petrochemicals!

Anonymous said...

Maybe gas is so expensive because people drive gas guzzlers like Pontiac Aztecs