Sunday, August 05, 2007

A Truly Unique Experience

On Saturday Jeff and I spent the afternoon exploring Kaohsiung. I knew there was a minor basilica, Holy Rosary Cathedral, nearby, so of course we stopped in to take some pictures.

I swear we have a knack for finding weddings (but I guess that's what happens when you explore on Saturday afternoons)



During our visit we noticed that there was an English mass on Sunday, so Jeff and I decided we would go the next day. We arrived at church about 15 minutes early and took our seats. A few minutes later a woman from the church approached Jeff and I and asked if I would be willing to read the first reading. I was a little hesitant, but Jeff spoke up and said I would. I figured it couldn't be too bad; at least I knew the language! We were transplanted from our discreet seats in the back corner to the very empty front row! I was still a little nervous as I walked down the aisle with the priest at the start of the mass, but I thought, "hey, when am I ever going to be in church in Taiwan reading before a bunch of people who speak English as a second language!"

I got through my reading and had some time to relax and actually look around the church. Jeff pointed out that the church was full of Filipinos. Initially we weren't really sure why, but as we listened to the priest talk, we realized that they were primarily migrant workers here to earn money for their families back in the Philippines. Given the audience, the mass had a very different tone than others I have been to. It was really interesting to hear the priest encourage the migrant workers, but also warn them about dangers like infidelity. He even gave a long speech at the end of the mass reminding people that the minimum wage in certain sectors had been increased, so they should make sure to check their pay stubs.

All and all I realize that it was definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I am so glad I took it. Incidentally, the prayers were slightly different than the ones we say in the US. I won't go into detail here, but if anyone is interested in some of the really cool difference, feel free to send me an email and I will gladly fill you in!

0 comments: