Sunday, March 11, 2007

Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage …

… it’s an institute you can’t disparage.


So a few weeks ago while channel surfing, Jeff came across the intro to the now-defunct show, The Nanny … or so we thought. However, we noticed that instead of Fran Drescher and her annoying voice/laugh, it was a Russian doppelganger. The same characters it seemed, but not being a big fan of the original show, we didn’t focus in on it.

So yesterday, again while channel surfing, we came across this scene (and yes, we photographed the television).



For all the fans of Married with Children out there, let it be known that the show is alive and kicking here in Russia. Since Mia and I were big fans of the show when we were younger, we watched the episode. It’s a complete knock-off re-make with Russian actors playing the Bundy family. The plot line had Kelly Bundy dance in front of everyone which she turned into a provocative stripper-esque routine. Maybe you remember the same episode in its American form. As you see, they don’t even make up new material! Now maybe Russian standards are different, or maybe because its 15 years later, but it seemed Kelly showed a lot more skin than we remembered. Other than that, the plot line was the same. The show even has Marcy Darcy. Sadly, they left out the opening Sinatra song and Buckingham Fountain scene.

We’ll have to keep our eye open for the next Russian knock-off. Harry and the Henderson’s? Mr. Belvedere, is it you? Charles in Charge, I am looking in your direction.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I want Charles in charge of me!

Rachel said...

I'm not afraid of Lucille anymore!

P.S. I found 42 riyals and a Marriot bookmark in Jeff's LOTR book.

P.P.S. I miss you guys.

P.P.P.S. In soviet russia, blog posts you!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I hope you're having fun in Russia. I'm guessing they don't have women running around with no shirts or bras on like they do in France. That was some crazy TV. Actually, Ugly Betty here is a remake from a couple other places. I'm not sure how directly it rips the original off, but I thought I would share. Let's not forget The Office. Some of those were word for word from the original. Anyway, happy Russia TV watching! I'm putting money on a Russia Full House.