Saturday, April 07, 2007

London Calling

I know this is post is incredibly delayed, but hey, better late than never :) While on my quick visa trip to Guildford, England I was able to spend a day in Central London. Now anyone who has ever been to London (and I am guessing there are quite a few of you out there) knows that there is no way to see London in just one day, but I did my best to see as much as I could.

After taking an early train into Waterloo Station I started my day by heading over towards Westminster Abbey. The weather was as I would expect it to be in London . . . rainy and chilly. But I wasn't letting the weather slow me down - I was on a mission to see as much of London as possible before my afternoon train back. On the way to Westminster Abbey I saw my first big sight: the London Eye (note that this picture was taken later in the day when the rain cleared up).

The Eye wasn't open yet, so I kept on moving towards Westminster Abbey. On the walk across the bridge I saw probably the most iconic London sight, Big Ben and Parliament.


After stopping for a few pictures I walked another block or two and ended up at Westminster Abbey.

I went inside and took a tour, which was incredible, but unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures. After a quick stop in the gift shop I headed out towards Buckingham Palace. The route brought me across the British Horse Guards, which I hadn't actually intended to see. However, I saw a huge group of people staring at something, so I figured I would cross the street and check it out. I got there just in time to see the changing of the guard, which was a pleasant surprise!


I then headed through St. James's Park and followed the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Walkway, where I caught my first glance of Buckingham Palace.

I had hoped to take a tour of the palace or catch the changing of the guard in front of the palace, but unfortunately the palace was closed and the guard changes every other day and I was there on the wrong day.

However, this opened up some more time in my day, so I was able to walk around and see more sites. I stopped by Trafalgar Square next . . .

. . . where they were taking down the Lion's Scarves. I didn't know what that was all about, but I did some research when I got home and learned that knitters from all over the country knit the scarves as a major charity project.

After seeing Picadilly Circus and Downing Street I decided to get off my feet and return to the Eye for a relaxing ride. The views were amazing and I posted a ton of pictures on our Yahoo Photo Site. I then started to ride the Tube to see a few far lying sights. I am sure that many of you know that I love the Harry Potter books and movies, so I had to take a train into King's Cross Station.


Though no trains were loading at the time I was determined to get on the platform and take a picture of the wall all Hogwarts students must run through to ride the Hogwarts Express. I was promptly yelled at for being on the platform, but I got my picture :) A few interesting facts for Harry Potter fans. First, the wall they run through is actually between platforms four and five. Second, the station only has 8 platforms, so there is no platform nine and three quarters. I also took the Tube to London Bridge so I could take a picture of Tower Bridge.


I think many foreigners believe that Tower Bridge is London Bridge (or at least I always thought it was), so I learned something! After Tower Bridge I was exhausted and had to head back to Guildford to make sure I could get my passport so I could return to Russia! However, I left London feeling like I packed in as much as I could. I can't wait until I get to return to see so much more!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mia - it's Jonnell - I'm LOVING reading the blog! I admit I'm a tad jealous too - it sounds like you're having SO much fun! I'm sure it can be stressful being on the move so much and having such different cultures to deal with. But I'm really enjoying being an armchair traveller, courtesy of you!